AWS Fargate: More! Faster! No Chaos with XebiaLabs
The promise of AWS Fargate is a game changer, providing a new launch type for containers with infinite scale and freeing you from having to configure or provision the application infrastructure stack. Essentially, it offers to containers what EC2 brought to virtual machines: you pay for what you use, and launch, launch, launch those containers.But… Like Newton’s third law of motion, there is an equal and opposite reaction. The equal reaction and continuous force is the infinite deployment of containers, made possible by Fargate. You no longer need to think about servers or clusters, and, as AWS’ Werner Vogel pointed out, you build the container image, define where and how it will run, and pay for the exact CPU and memory your code needs. The opposite reaction is the organizational and code friction created by the freedom to design and launch:
- Have you optimized the container to reduce your costs?
- Are there any cost controls in place?
- Do changes in your application force changes in the Fargate configuration?
- Did you forget about security?
- You can’t forget about security!
- Does the existing or changed Fargate configuration conform to your internal or regulatory compliance requisites?