This post is from the Apperian blog and has not been updated since the original publish date.
Five Keys to Streamline the Application Deployment and Management Process
As companies continue to add to their arsenal of enterprise mobile apps – including those acquired from third party developers as well as homegrown apps – IT organizations need an efficient and manageable approach for the application deployment and management process. Streamlining and simplifying the app deployment and monitoring process can improve speed-to-market, provide employees the wherewithal to generate productivity gains faster, and reduce the cost and complexity of managing a growing number of applications. To help simplify and improve application deployment and management efforts for IT, we recommend these five steps:
- Establish a common mobile application development environment. Developers of enterprise mobile apps know just how time consuming and vexing that app coding can get. The problem becomes further exacerbated by trying to write code for multiple mobile platforms (iOS, Android, Windows Mobile, BlackBerry, etc.). Although the user interface and functionality will vary by device type and may require some level of customization, utilizing a common mobile app development platform can enable developers to create the functionality that’s needed for specific apps (e.g. mobile CRM) while streamlining the development process by automating application publishing, distribution, updates, and tracking – regardless of the device types being supported.
- Streamline mobile app beta testing. Testing app functionality and usability with your target audience and incorporating their feedback can be time-consuming and prolong the deployment of critical apps. Mobile app user testing will test new versions of enterprise apps with a subset of your intended user base. IT and developers can obtain needed usability feedback faster and shorten the time-to-market with new apps.
- Set security policies based on device type and clearance. Establishing and managing security policies for specific apps can be daunting, particularly for enterprises that are administering hundreds or even thousands of apps. Role-based mobile application security policies restrict (or provide) access on an application and a user level based on device types and the level of control permitted to individual employees. With this, IT can quickly adjust security policies – even remotely – when utilizing an effective mobile application management (MAM™) solution. Creating and managing security policies on an application and user level also permits IT to inventory and manage all apps more efficiently while ensuring compliance, quality, and legal approval.
- Create a centrally branded enterprise app store for proprietary and third-party apps. Using an enterprise app catalog that’s available via mobile application management can help ease mobile app distribution across multiple channels, device types, and ownership models. IT also benefits from having a single point of contact for application configuration, authentication, and updates.
- Automate application updates and distribution to simplify and strengthen management. In addition to automating application updates and distribution, enterprises that utilize MAM™ also benefit from the ability to monitor; app usage, adoption, compliance, the value obtained, and return-on-investment (ROI). In addition, automating the app updating and distribution process enables IT to better manage the application lifecycle and version control.