This post is from the XebiaLabs blog and has not been updated since the original publish date.
Five Ways to Streamline Software Releases on AWS with XebiaLabs
Organizations regularly struggle to implement DevOps at enterprise scale. Some common challenges include:
- Multiple Environments: Today, you may be deploying to on-premises, tomorrow to hybrid, and next month to AWS cloud. Can you handle the technical challenges of supporting applications across multiple environments? Does your team have the technical expertise on multiple platforms?
- Scaling: Just because you can deploy one app to a single server doesn’t mean you can scale to hundreds or thousands of applications. What can you do to ensure your applications will scale with your business?
- Visibility: Developers need to know if a build passed all tests, release managers want to know where a release is in the pipeline, and the CIO wants to know how software releases affect the business' bottom line. Does your DevOps provide visibility to all stakeholders?
In this on-demand webinar with AWS, we explore five ways to streamline your DevOps and get your applications deployed on AWS.
#1: Orchestrate, Don’t Script
Orchestration standardizes processes between teams, abstracts low-level details, and enables you to create a maintainable end-to-end release pipeline. On the other hand, ad-hoc scripting of release pipelines requires specific technical expertise, is costly to develop and maintain, and won’t scale across your enterprise.
#2: Include Flexibility to Deploy Anywhere
While tailoring your release process for a single environment makes it easy to get started, the costs increase every time you migrate your application from on-premises to hybrid cloud and to full cloud. Techniques like model-based deployments bake in flexibility, so you can easily make changes and allow your release process to keep up with your business needs.
#3: Rapid Onboarding Using Best Practices
Why reinvent the wheel? Sharing best practices throughout your organization allows teams to quickly adopt DevOps using consistent, tested processes. There is also no need for experts on each team when release templates and blueprints allow you to share knowledge and proven techniques.
#4: Know Everything About Every Release
Each stage of your release pipeline generates data that can dramatically improve your DevOps processes. End-to-end DevOps toolchain orchestration connects all tools across your release and provides unified data for everything that happens, driving DevOps intelligence, predictive analytics, and compliance.
#5: Continuous Improvement
The core of Value Stream Management is using data to identify bottlenecks and drive improvements that enhance your business bottom line. Dashboards and reports provide both the business and technical members of your team the ability to gain release visibility and continuously improve.
XebiaLabs on AWS
The XebiaLabs DevOps Platform orchestrates your entire AWS release pipeline at enterprise scale. It connects your entire end-to-end toolchain without the need for ad-hoc scripting. Supported integrations make your move to AWS even easier and include the AWS Service Catalog, AWS CloudFormation, and Terraform. The XebiaLabs DevOps Platform is also available for purchase on AWS Marketplace.
- XebiaLabs Launches its Enterprise DevOps Platform on AWS Marketplace
- XebiaLabs for Amazon Web Services
- How a DevOps Platform Can Supercharge Your Digital Transformation