With apologies to William Shakespeare / couldn't resist, Bill ol' chap...
So / what is a Project in VersionOne? Is it a Product, a Project or a Release? Is it a Portfolio, a Program or a Group? The answer is / YES!
in VersionOne, in simplest terms, is a repository
/ a backlog for work/related items. As part of a tree hierarchy, this asset can be used to capture work items that pertain to an organization's software portfolio (e.g., initiatives, features), a software program (features, themes), a software product (components, epics) or software releases (epics, user stories). Items within a Project
are organized, prioritized, ranked and scheduled for execution and delivery. Let's briefly analyze the graphic below, a sample Project Tree
The image shows a Project Tree for a fictitious organization (no NDA required :/)):
- Customer Intelligence Systems
- Aspire Product Suite
- CI DynamixCRM
- DynamixCRM v1.0
- DynamixCRM v2.0
- Corporate Web site
Each of the nodes in this Project Tree is a repository representing different parts or layers of the organization:* Customer Intelligence Systems
– the company; the portfolio for the organization may reside at this level* Development
– a group or a program; high/level features and themes to be delivered by product or project teams* Aspire Product Suite
– a suite of three distinct products: Desire
and Endeavor* Desire v1.0
, et al – a release for the corresponding product; each product in the suite likely has equivalent nodes for each release* CI DynamixCRM
– a standalone product, with two defined release backlogs, DynamixCRM v1.0
and DynamixCRM v2.0* Corporate Web site
– work required to keep company’s Web site up to date* Maintenance
– supporting platform, IT or Operations
to create an organizational structure that represents how work is captured, planned and managed. And, don't worry about what they're called / your teams know what they represent ;/).