This post is from the CollabNet VersionOne blog and has not been updated since the original publish date.
Application Life-Cycle Management Is Much More Than Just Writing Code
Emerging IT applications are transforming the way business is done today. Application life-cycle Management (ALM) tools are the need of the hour. The integration of ALM is essential to remove major inefficiencies and bottlenecks in the software development process. If integrated properly, ALM can help an IT company develop best practice for virtually every major phase of the software application process, including:
• Requirements planning
• Prototyping, engineering, and design
• Cost and time to market (resource consumption, etc.)
• Risk management
• Issue and defect tracking
• Metrics definition and measurement
The use of ALM helps a company assess, improve, and maximize, collaboration between team members. It helps them refine core development processes across teams involved in the designing and delivery of software applications. The result is greater productivity, cost efficiency and the highest possible results.
To ensure the best results, ALM needs to be efficiently integrated with other tools within the organization. The following are a few key results that can be achieved with the proper sync of an ALM tool:
• Teams reduce rework
• Improve development processes
• Attain higher-quality of products
• Achieve timely completion of project
• Ensure end-to-end monitoring between work items
• Reduce cost
What exactly can one expect from Application Life-Cycle Management?
• Increases productivity
• Allows teams in the organization to share best practices for development and deployment
• Allows developers to concentrate on business requirements
• Maintain and stabilize quality
• Ensures that the needs and the expectations that were created for all end-users are met
• Speeds up the whole work process
• Cuts down the time to develop the software and bring it to the market
• Brings the best out of organization’s investment in labor and technology capabilities
• Ensures quality output in the development process
With the development of technology and the demand of high quality software, companies are looking for a better process that can help them execute projects with a concrete plan. It can also help to bridge the gap between team members, provide full traceability between project artifacts and eliminate the need for unnecessary documentation hassles. With proper implementation of Application Life-cycle Management tools, IT companies can comply with all their internal and external requirements. Also with proper execution, integrated team work, an attentive business management team, and integrated Application Life-cycle Management, it is possible to build a user-friendly application better, faster and on budget.
To learn more about how your organization can benefit from the implementation of ALM, visit http://www.collab.net/products/teamforge