This post is from the XebiaLabs blog and has not been updated since the original publish date.
Enterprise DevOps for the Cloud
Cloud Does Not Equal DevOps
Easy access to public cloud technologies creates a common misconception: moving to the cloud will not only provide more flexible and scalable infrastructure at a lower cost, but it will also accelerate the delivery of applications to the customer. In reality, moving to the cloud is just one step in that journey.
Enterprises that are looking to improve and accelerate software delivery are implementing DevOps practices that span the entire software delivery value stream.These practices are generally unrelated to the cloud itself: they focus on management of the end-to-end software release and application deployment process—from idea to code to production. To succeed with DevOps, organizations must create standardized processes that are technology agnostic, enforce governance requirements, and enable collaboration across both technical and non-technical teams.
Wanted: A DevOps Framework Designed for the CloudEnterprises delivering DevOps at scale need a framework that abstracts configurations and infrastructure and that enforces consistent processes across all teams and environments. And they need a DevOps-focused framework that’s designed for the unique needs of cloud-based and hybrid applications:
- On-demand cloud resources: Provision and de-provision cloud resources on a “just-in-time basis,” as part of the DevOps release pipeline flow
- Intelligent oversight of complex release pipelines: Manage and orchestrate complex release processes for multi-component applications, and automatically visualize, manage, and map dependencies
- Standardized processes that are technology agnostic, across all environments: Create and automate standard, repeatable processes that work for hybrid environments—without having to create custom configuration scripts each time
- Complete visibility into release status, including component and change status, from backlog to code to production: Provide real-time visibility into all aspects of release processes and components, across all “locations” and systems
- Enforce IT governance as part of the core process: Maintain infrastructure to address security, compliance, audit, and even reporting needs—automatically, every time
The XebiaLabs DevOps Platform Provides the Foundation for Enterprise DevOps for Cloud DeploymentsThe XebiaLabs DevOps Platform is the only solution that provides large enterprises with the DevOps functionality necessary to deploy applications to the cloud at any scale. It delivers orchestration, analytics, and deployment automation functions that are designed to meet the unique needs of cloud and hybrid infrastructures, helping companies manage applications deployed in the cloud at speed and scale. Critical capabilities include:
- Automation, orchestration, and management of complex software release pipelines, deployment processes, and configurations
- Automatic provisioning and de-provisioning of cloud-based resources, on-demand, as part of the DevOps pipeline flow
- Hybrid deployments that are managed across a mix of clouds, VMs, containers, and traditional environments
- Dependency management between application components and microservices across the complete Continuous Delivery pipeline
- Detailed visibility into release pipeline and deployment status across all environments—easily accessible across all teams, both technical and non-technical
- Built-in, granular control of your processes, including compliance, security, reporting, governance, and audit trail capture—all automatically built into the release process