This post is from the Apperian blog and has not been updated since the original publish date.
How to Choose an Enterprise App Store
Enterprise workers rely on mobile apps to access corporate data and participate in mobile workflows, and mobile strategists have multiple paths to manage and deliver these apps. Base the appropriate model of app management and distribution on enterprise app management needs and development maturity.
- Sources for business-to-employee apps vary widely, including individual user downloads of public apps, business unit purchases of apps and IT-led custom development. This mix thwarts centralized visibility and management.
- Many employees carry multiple personal and corporate-owned devices, dictating varying levels of management policy to track and protect the business data accessed by and used on mobile platforms.
- Organizations have not standardized management and security policies across third-party and internal apps and lack a uniform inspection, distribution and updating mechanism for the apps being used by employees.
- Determine the mix of apps in use and their various management models to assess the management needs of the organization.
- Evaluate the constituencies represented among all users of mobile apps and map them to their appropriate management profiles.
- Determine the optimal distribution mechanism of applications based on the management needs of the constituencies to be served and the overall number of applications in play.
- Choose a path that corresponds to the combination of three variables: management, constituency and delivery.