Navigate Your Environment Landscape with XebiaLabs
For many organizations, Continuous Delivery is the key that unlocks faster, more consistent, more reliable software delivery. Teams that practice Continuous Delivery aim to ensure their code is always in a releasable state by continuously integrating changes into their code base, automatically testing those changes, and ensuring that the changes can always be deployed to environments in a consistent, repeatable way.
As Continuous Delivery best practices have matured, many DevOps teams have embraced an “as code” approach for more than just business application code; they also define environment and infrastructure data as code. This practice allows teams to edit the code with their preferred editor, check it into their source control management system, verify it with automated testing tools, and apply it automatically as part of their Continuous Integration process.
DevOps Teams Need a Map to Find Their Way
Continuously integrating, building, and testing software... releasing new features to end users faster and more reliably than ever before... building release pipelines and more in code that can be maintained in source control management... these are great things! But frequent deployments, happening across many different types of environments, can cause teams to struggle with deceptively simple questions such as:
- Which applications are deployed on this environment?
- What version of each application is deployed? Are multiple versions deployed?
- Are interdependent microservices deployed on this environment?
- When did the last deployment happen, and who triggered it?
- Are there any old or outdated applications installed on the environment?
- What configuration settings were used for each app when it was deployed?
- Are there any settings that should have been used during deployment, but weren’t?
- Have any configuration settings changed since the last deployment?
- Does an application need to be redeployed with the new settings?
Even worse, teams often need answers to these questions when the situation is critical: an unexpected or unauthorized change was made, a deployment has failed, an environment is unavailable, or an application is inaccessible or isn’t working as expected. Not the time to be digging through log files, backwards-engineering deployments, or trying to discover what’s running in an environment. Without accurate, up-to-date, easy-to-understand overviews of their environments and infrastructure, a team can easily get lost in the landscape of applications, packages, environments, cloud instances, deployment events, rollbacks, configuration settings, and target technologies.
XebiaLabs Helps You See the Lay of the Land
The XebiaLabs DevOps Platform 8.6 offers an unprecedented view of your environments and infrastructure, so it’s easier than ever for teams across your organization to see information about their deployed applications at a glance. XebiaLabs immediately shows teams where applications are deployed, when environments and infrastructure were last updated, and what configuration settings were used during deployment. Technical users who define their environments and infrastructure in code might still reference XebiaLabs’ new environment and infrastructure screens to verify the state of their environments and to troubleshoot deployment problems—without having to parse log files or investigate running systems. With XebiaLabs, you can:
- Visualize the relationship between environments and infrastructure, so you know exactly what type of infrastructure is available in each environment, even if the environment was created by another team
- Navigate between environments, infrastructure, and dictionaries with a single click so you can easily review and update configuration settings—whether you’re running apps on mainframes, middleware, container platforms, or the cloud
- Get a unified overview of which application versions are deployed to each environment, how long ago each version was deployed, and who deployed it—so you have a one-stop-shop for what’s happening in each and every environment
- See important information about the most recent application deployment to each environment, including how long ago it took place and who executed it
- See exactly which parts of your infrastructure were affected by a deployment, making troubleshooting failed deployments easier than ever
- Define environments, infrastructure, and more in code and verify it using the GUI, no matter whether you’re in a technical or business role
- Access an easy-to-read overview of dictionaries and resolved placeholder values that allows you to verify and troubleshoot the environment-specific configuration settings that were used during deployment
Try It Out Now
You can try out DevOps as Code and XebiaLabs’ new environment and infrastructure views for free! Try the XebiaLabs DevOps Platform today.
Give your technical and business teams intelligence, automation, and control. Start your free 30 day trial of the XebiaLabs DevOps Platform today!
- Scale Your DevOps Initiative Beyond Its Awkward Teenage Years
- Best Practices for DevOps: Advanced Deployment Patterns
- Benefits of the XebiaLabs Deployment Model