This post is from the XebiaLabs blog and has not been updated since the original publish date.
The XebiaLabs DevOps Platform 9.0: Comprehensive Auditability, Easy Configuration and Secrets Management, and More
We're excited to announce the latest release of the XebiaLabs DevOps Platform! Version 9.0 is jam-packed with great new features:
- Comprehensive data collection and audit reporting for software releases
- Powerful configuration management for the cloud, containers, and more
- Seamless integration with secrets management solutions
- Major enhancements for release triggers, DevOps as Code, blueprints, and the XebiaLabs command-line interface
- Brand new integrations with Compuware Topaz for Total Test, the Delphix Dynamic Data Platform, Hashicorp Vault, CyberArk Conjur, and AWS GovCloud
Keep reading to learn more!
Instant, comprehensive auditability with the Release Audit report
DevOps teams that must provide evidence for IT audits often spend hundreds or thousands of hours consolidating screenshots, spreadsheets, documents, and emails that document what happened during their application releases. Security, Compliance, and Audit teams must interpret this evidence to understand what changed in Production, when and where the changes were made, who authorized them, and how they were done.
XL Release offers a new Release Audit Report that provides comprehensive auditability for every single release with a single click. The report provides detailed information about everything that happened in a release: what tasks it contained, who executed those tasks, when and where they were executed, and which tools XL Release worked with to run automated tasks.
You can generate and export the release audit report for a single release or for multiple releases at once, based on criteria that you specify; for example, releases from a specific folder or releases with a certain tag. The report is exported in Microsoft Excel (.xls) format, so it's easy for technical and business stakeholders to read, filter, search, and share audit data.
Easier configuration management through placeholder search and compare
In XL Deploy, placeholders and dictionaries allow teams to manage information that varies across environments in the software delivery pipeline, such as cloud instance configurations. At deployment time, XL Deploy resolves the values of the placeholders in the deployment package with the values that are stored in the dictionaries assigned to the target environment.
You can now search for placeholders across deployment packages, so you can immediately see where a placeholder is being used, and which applications will be impacted if the placeholder’s value is changed. You can also update the value of a placeholder across dictionaries with a single action, eliminating re-work and ensuring consistency.
In addition, you can review a placeholder's history to see the exact value that was used for each deployment, so it's easier to troubleshoot deployment errors and see how configuration data has changed over time.
Seamless integration with secrets management solutions
Protecting secrets such as passwords, passphrases, and API keys is a concern for all organizations, whether they run applications on-premises, in the cloud, or both. To better manage secrets across projects and teams, many organizations adopt a secrets management tool. XL Deploy integrates with secrets management tools to automatically retrieve secrets at deployment time, ensuring that:
- Sensitive data can be managed centrally, so teams don't have to copy data from their secrets management tool to XL Deploy
- Deployments are always executed with the most up-to-date values for passwords, keys, and other secrets, reducing the chance of errors
- XL Deploy complies with corporate requirements for storage and usage of secrets
Centralized release trigger management
XL Release triggers make it easy to automatically start releases based on events such as a commit to a code repository or a new artifact being published to an artifact repository. XL Release provides a single place in the GUI to create and manage release triggers. The new trigger management screen allows you to:
- Create a new release trigger
- Review all triggers that you have created
- See which release templates will be affected if you change a trigger's properties
- Activate or deactivate one or more triggers
New integration with Compuware Topaz for Total Test
Compuware Topaz for Total Test provides automated functional testing on mainframe applications written in COBOL, including unit tests, integration tests, and regression tests. It reduces the time that developers spend writing and maintaining tests, as well as the time that developers and QA teams spend collecting or manually generating high-quality data to use as input for automated tests.
XebiaLabs integrates with Topaz for Total Test to orchestrate automated testing for mainframe applications, ensuring that the right tests run at the right times against the right parts of the application. With XebiaLabs and Topaz for Total Test, you can build continuous testing into your Continuous Delivery pipeline for every mainframe application.
New integration with Delphix Dynamic Data Platform
The Delphix Dynamic Data Platform quickly and securely duplicates database data to multiple locations, allowing for realistic test data in staging environments prior to production. Delphix uses virtualized databases that occupy a smaller footprint and can quickly be transferred between on-premises or cloud environments. Delphix also masks sensitive data to prevent compromise during transfer or use.
XebiaLabs integrates with the Delphix Dynamic Data Platform to orchestrate database duplication for testing, so you can replicate and manage virtualized databases, bookmark data, and more as your release processes run. With XebiaLabs and Delphix, you can build fast, secure, more accurate testing into your Continuous Delivery pipeline.
Expanded YAML support
This release introduces new DevOps as Code features that make it easier than ever for teams to define infrastructure, environments, release templates, and more in YAML code that they can check in to source control management. When you generate the YAML code for an XL Deploy configuration item that is related to an artifact, the artifact is now exported alongside the code. In addition, administrators can optionally generate YAML code including sensitive data such as passwords and API keys, so users can more easily apply that code to update configuration items later. Finally, you can now define XL Release application attributes, environment attributes, and dashboard filters in YAML code.
Support for composable blueprints
When creating blueprints, you can refer from one blueprint to another, so you can build modular blueprints that can be composed into delivery pipelines for teams using different tools and technologies.
Direct links from the XL CLI
When you start a release or deployment from the XebiaLabs command-line interface (XL CLI), it provides a link that allows you to immediately open the release or deployment task in the GUI.
New blueprints for AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud
We have published new blueprints to help teams get started with popular cloud technologies. A blueprint asks a few questions about the team's application or environment, and uses the answers to generate YAML files that define configuration items and release templates. Using our new blueprints, teams can easily:
- Provision an Amazon Elastic Kubernetes Service (EKS) cluster using AWS CloudFormation
- Deploy an AWS Lambda function using a CloudFormation stack
- Provision an Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS) cluster using Terraform
- Deploy a Docker-based web application to Azure App Service using Terraform
- Provision a Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE) cluster using Terraform
- Software Chain of Custody: Collect. Visualize. Report. Prove.
- Push Button Audit Reporting for Software Delivery 2-minute video
- Make Software Audit Nightmares a Thing of the Past
- The Complete Picture: XebiaLabs Teams with Datical and Delphix to Extend Database Testing Across the Release Pipeline
- Mainstream Your Mainframe Apps with XebiaLabs + Compuware Topaz for Total Test