XL Deploy integrated with WebSphere CloudBurst Appliance for applications on demand
At XebiaLabs, we have recently been working on an exciting new integration for XL Deploy, our deployment automation product. We've created a XL Deploy plugin that allows you to deploy EAR files directly to virtual systems created by IBM's WebSphere CloudBurst Appliance (WCA). But a small piece of background first. XL Deploy and WebSphere CloudBurst Appliance both "deploy" things. But they deploy different things. XL Deploy deploys application artifacts and resources such as EAR files and data sources to middleware systems like WebSphere Application Server (but also HTML to web servers, MQ configuration to queue managers, etc.). The WebSphere CloudBurst Appliance on the other hand, deploys patterns (topologies) of virtual images to hypervisors. But not just any kind of virtual images. It is especially geared towards deploying middleware topologies. In other words, the software XL Deploy wants to deploy to! This means that the functionalities of WCA and XL Deploy are a perfect fit; have WCA deploy the middleware systems and have XL Deploy deploy applications to those middleware systems. In practice it works like this:
- From the XL Deploy UI, The user select the application artifacts and resources he wants to deploy.
- The user selects the WCA he wants to deploy to.
- The user enters the name of the CloudBurst pattern to deploy and the cloud group in which to deploy it.
- The user presses the "Deploy" button in XL Deploy to start the deployment.
- XL Deploy starts the pattern deployment in WebSphere CloudBurst Appliance.
- When the pattern deployment is finished, XL Deploy reads the information about the newly created virtual system and the middleware on it.
- And finally, XL Deploy installs the application on it, using the existing XL Deploy logic to deploy to WebSphere environments.