This post is from the XebiaLabs blog and has not been updated since the original publish date.
Jython Console extension with XL Release 4.6.0
With XL Release 4.6.0, custom REST Endpoints are now supported by XL Release, just like with XL Deploy. Keeping that in mind, some of the existing extensions that have custom REST endpoints can be used along with XL Release now. One of them is the Jytutor extension that can be used to experiment with Jython scripting on the server backend. This is especially useful as XL Release currently does not have a Command Line Interface. Jytutor also has a UI interface which is accessible through the Jytutor menu option in XL Deploy but UI Extensions are not available in XL Release till now. But we can still access the UI by referring it directly. Here's how to go for it
- Download the Jytutor extension referring to the Jytutor Blog or from the xebialabs-community site
- Shutdown your XL Release server and drop the extension jar file under XLR_HOME/plugins folder
- Restart the server and log back in
- You'll have to use Firefox for this one since the authentication information is not being passed on to the jytutor UI as UI extensions are yet to come in XL Release.
- In Firefox, download an add-on can Modify Headers
- Restart Firefox, Open modify Headers from toolbar. Now we'll add an authorization header.
- In modify headers menu, select Add action
- Type header name as Authorization
- For value, we'll use Basic authentication. For that generate a 64bit encoded value for your <username>:<password> e.g. for admin:admin, it will be YWRtaW46YWRtaW4=
- Put the value of header as Basic YWRtaW46YWRtaW4=
- Start the modify headers to push headers in requests
- After that open another tab and open http://localhost:5516/static/4.6.0/web/jytutor-plugin/tutor.html
- You can now start typing any Jython/Python code snippet and submit to get it evaluated using XL Release server side scripting engine. e.g. type print "hello xlr"
- You can also play with XL Release Jython API